We have to go back to the 1971-72 season to find the last time two English clubs made it to the final of the Europa League, but after some dramatic games in this season’s competition that’s exactly what we’ve got this year as Chelsea and Arsenal do battle.
The final is being played in the Olympic Stadium in Baku, Azerbaijan on Wednesday 29th May and with a Champions League place up for grabs for the winners there is certainly a lot at stake.
Let’s take a look at the main head-to-head stats…………….
With a place in next season’s Champions League up for grabs for the winner, there is plenty at stake for both Arsenal and Chelsea, who face-off in the Europa League Final this Wednesday night. So, being it’s an all-English final the sides are very familiar with each other and played twice in the Premier League this season. Arsenal won their home clash 2-0, while Chelsea took all three points at Stamford Bridge in a 3-2 thriller. The outright betting ahead of the game sees Chelsea as the 1.72 favourites, with Arsenal on offer at 2.10, while the 90 mins match betting has Chelsea at 2.45, the draw 3.40 and Arsenal 3.10. The Blues have also lost just two of their last 15 league games over Arsenal so certainly come into the game with the better head-to-head record. Both sides have won 11 of their 14 Europa League games this term too, but maybe more significant is that Chelsea remain unbeaten in the competition this season. With 3 red cards in the last 8 clashes, there can be a bit of needle when the sides meet – all sending offs have been for Chelsea, but you can get 3.75 on either side being shown a red card in 90 mins. Chelsea’s Giroud has been their main in Europe this season, with 10 goals – he can be backed at 6.50 (1st) or 2.75 (anytime). Arsenal’s Aubameyang, tops the Gunners list in Europe this season with 8 goals. He’s on offer at 4.75 (1st) and 2.10 (anytime). 60% of the last 10 clashes went OVER 2.5 GOALS – this can be backed at 1.90 – while BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE has paid out in 5 of the last 7 clashes and can be backed at 1.66. However, in what looks set to be a tight game we are going to stick with the DRAW after 90 mins at 3.40. These sides have played out 4 draws in the last 7. This would then unlock various other betting options like to win in extra-time or penalties. Chelsea are 11.00 to win in extra-time and 12.00 to win on penalties, while Arsenal are 12.00 for both an extra-time and penalty win.
29th May 2019
Chelsea v Arsenal 20:00
- Met in the league this season, Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal, Arsenal 2-0 Chelsea
- Never in a European Competition before
- Chelsea have lost just 2 of their last 15 league games vs Arsenal
- Both teams scored in 5 of the last 7 head-to-heads (all comps)
- 6 of the last 10 head-to-heads went OVER 2.5 GOALS
- Arsenal have scored in 8 of the last 10 head-to-heads (all comps)
- 3 RED CARDS in the last 8 head-to-heads (all Chelsea)
- 4 DRAWS in the last 7 head-to-heads
- Arsenal have won 11 of their 14 Europa League games this season
- 8 of Arsenal’s 14 Europa League games this season went OVER 2.5 GOALS
- Both teams DIDN’T score in 10 of Arsenal’s 14 Europa League games this season
- Arsenal have won 5 of their 7 away Europa League games this season
- Aubameyang (Arsenal) has scored 8 Europa League goals this season
- Chelsea have won 11 of their 14 Europa League games this season
- Chelsea have NOT lost in their 14 Europa League games this season
- Chelsea have won 5 of their 7 away Europa League games this season
- Giroud (Chelsea) has scored 10 Europa League goals this season
BEST BET: BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE @1.75 & DRAW @3.40